Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dear John Resignation Letter

In contemplating so many that I've seen leave before me, I felt compelled to write my own resignation letter....



Date: Long Time Comin'

My Darling (insert company name here),

Let's cut to the chase. I feel it's about time that we have "the talk". First, let me just clarify that it's not you, it's me. I expect a lot, too much maybe, and I feel that I am asking more of you than you are capable of giving. To blame you for my ridiculously high standards would just be insensitive.

When we started out on this venture together (insert years here) years ago, it was as if we were meant to be.  Everything fit together. I needed you, you needed me and we made each other happy. We enjoyed each other's company. Funny how so much can change. 

As time progressed I felt that I was not as important to you as I once was. My feelings and ideas no longer seemed important. Sure, you wanted me there with you, but not because you cared, but because you became dependent on me. It became all about the money. I began to feel like it was always about you and what made you happy no matter what I had to sacrifice. Even when I was sick or my personal world seemed to be collapsing, you expected me there. You rarely offered a shoulder or understanding ear. No matter the time of day, when you wanted me by your side I had to be there for you or I would never hear the end of how unreliable I was. I tried, really I did, to accommodate you every time but sometimes I needed to do things that were in my best interest too. That didn't usually go so well in your eyes. 

You used to take care of me, even when I was sick - the best you knew how. But eventually, it's like you stopped trying altogether. My heart aches, my body aches and your only response is "some people have it worse". You no longer leave me little random gifts "just because", there are no more encouraging words, no more friendly face to wake up to. It's as if we are living two separate lives under the same roof.

I know I probably didn't make it easier on you either. My dissatisfaction with our relationship began to consume me so much that I stopped trying too. I had hoped you would realize that I was more than just someone to snuggle with when you needed something. Maybe if you had, we wouldn't be in this mess today. 

I've tried talking to you, at times I've even yelled. I apologize for that. I just felt that if I said it louder, you'd eventually hear me. Now, when I'm with you, it seems so dark and cold. All you want to do is sit back and watch TV or hang out with all of your friends. I don't feel like I'm a part of something special anymore. I need that. Time has shown me that's just not something you are able to offer.

I need to feel important, not needed as much as wanted. I need to hear how much you need and want me too. Boy, has it been a long time since I've heard that. I want someone to grow old with and I want the security of knowing we'll be taken care of. Always changing the rules of the game so that you win was just not on my agenda. 

I hope I'm not coming off harsh or hurtful. That is not my intention. We've had great times and because of our relationship, made some of the best friends I could ask for. I will never regret being a part of your life and I hope you feel the same. Honestly, I hate to imagine where I would be today if it weren't for you. Unfortunately, where I want to be tomorrow is limited by the chains you have on me now and I want to be able to break free and spread my wings. 

Breaking up is never easy and I'm sure it will be a little hard on both of us at first. However, we'll quickly find a niche that works for us both and come out stronger in the end. This much I am sure about.

Thank you for all you've done for me and the compromises or sacrifices you made to stay with me all this time. You didn't have to put up with me either but you did. However, I must be moving on now. My dreams and goals are bigger now because of you. It's a scary road but it's the challenge and learning something new I look forward to. 

Good luck in all you do and hopefully we'll both find that special place in someone's heart to live happily ever after!

With Deepest Regards,
Julie

P.S. I QUIT US!!

No comments:

Post a Comment