Thursday, January 12, 2012

Swallowed by the Desert… 5-15-2008

I have been begging and praying for weather out here... I mean anything would be better than blue skies and sun ALL the time. So maybe I'm a little crazy but there is nothing better than a good rainstorm. I was ecstatic when I saw gray clouds in the sky and then... YES! One, two, three drops of water, but that was it! It was seriously depressing - or so I thought. My phone began "singing". My brother usually calls before he comes to get his kids so I thought nothing of it. Then on the other end... "Have you looked out the window?” Since I already had all the kids at the house, there was no reason to. "Why?” I asked. "There's a storm coming", he replied.
I could hardly contain myself. I ran outside to be there when it began to pour, but the sky wasn't gray - it was brown?! My brother told me he would be late because he would not be able to get to my house. I only live 4 streets away so I was a little confused. Suddenly my whole house and everything around it was consumed by dirt. Was this the infamous sand storm? I didn't see that in the weather forecast. I could only see this sad little tree in my front yard whipping around. There was so much wind and dirt everywhere! There was even a bird trying to fly into this storm and ended up flying backwards.
It lasted about 20 minutes and then was gone as if it had never even happened. I've been in blizzards, tornadoes and other "storms" but this was a first. It was like that scene from The Mummy where the desert swallows everything. I'm just waiting now for the locusts and plague to appear on my doorstep in preparation for Satan's arrival. I think it’s time to invest in a doormat that reads "Home Sweet Hades".

No comments:

Post a Comment